Sunday, April 20, 2014

sl-ughs

I have slug issues.

Little Rock can get humid and when it does, the slugs come out. They love hostas, I'm told, of which I have quite a lot, and they (the hostas) like shade, of which I also have quite a lot. Slugs also seem to like cat food, and because I feed Squeek on the front porch, when ever it's humid, the slugs get in it. And it's gross and slimy. I read somewhere that if you put beer in a low dish or can, it will lure the slugs to it. I was skeptical and over the years, relied on trying to remember to move the cat food inside, or at least put it on a chair before dusk. This had a 50% effectiveness due to my forgetting to do it half the time. Although, a few times the slugs found the food anyways...ick.

I happened to have a can(!) of Budweiser(!). (I know someone left it here because I cannot remember ever buying that beer, even as a broke college student a hundred years ago I bought Shiner Bock. And now I really don't even drink beer, except on the rarest of occasions. I like vino.)

I decided to try the beer in the can trick and holy hell, it worked. On the second day, there was a slug in a can. It was so disgusting and lifeless and solid seeming. I did NOT touch it, but after years of dealing with live slugs, I could just tell. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Some people put salt on them but that seems cruel and painful for the slug. I like to think the slug got drunk and fell asleep. The BIG sleep. Nice and peaceful like.

Some strategically placed slug traps:


I decided not to show the one with the dead slug out of respect for poor creature. Also this is not a snuff blog.

Plus it could be extra bad karma. 


No comments:

Post a Comment