Monday, March 3, 2014

a touch of spring on a snowy day.

I read that you can start a celery plant from the bottom cut of a celery stalk. Turns out you can! This is the 2nd one I tried. I did this last summer, but I think I put it in the ground too soon and it just withered away. Maybe it was too hot or needed more shade or sun...This one has nice little roots on the very bottom and as you can see, a healthy foliage! I'll have to do a little research to figure out the planting, but I have plenty of time since it's snowing here. Again. 

Sigh. 

I guess that dang groundhog was right.


If anyone has tips on growing celery, I'd love to hear from you.

On another note, Sumo oranges are here!!!
I LOVE these. They will only be here for a short while, much like mineolas, which I also love. (But I think I like these better!) It's interesting because I am not such a fan of orange juice, but I love an actual orange. 

I have been wanting to grow citrus so bad and have decided on the type. Meyer lemon dwarf. All the suppliers that sell the organic trees are sold out. Apparently, everyone buys them in the summer. I'll have to wait. I have a friend who has a lime and lemon tree growing in pots inside her home and they are weighted down with fruit every December. I have a very similar room to the one her's are in with lots of natural light and I am sure it will work for me. I can't wait to get them!

Any of you grow citrus? have a variety you recommend? 




No comments:

Post a Comment