Monday, April 14, 2014

some good advice and my compost bin

Week 2:

Last week, I had a consultation with Chris at Little Rock Urban Farming. He came to my house and surveyed the lot, it's potential, and the current garden. He gave me so much information, I had to take notes! I've decided is that the plan will have phases, as I couldn't possibly do all the work we discussed before the summer. But, I have a good start and with a bit of elbow greece, I'll have a nice sized little veggie garden this season, and with these changes, a bountiful one!!

Phase 1:

  • convert an existing raised bed to a dedicated herb garden
  • install raised bed along side of driveway for veggies
  • install raised bed in north corner of front yard
  • add red wigglers (worms!) to compost bin
  • order compost from a recommended place here in Little Rock

Project for this week:
  • Pick up the worms from Chris and put them to work!
  • Make final decisions on raised bed design (I've been hemming and hawing), purchase materials, and build it. 


Last year I built a compost bin and here is how it went:

Hopefully it will be around a while. I used cedar so it would hold up to the elements

Hardware cloth holds everything in while allowing it to breathe.

deck screws to avoid corrosion (also, I just happened to have them)

beveled ends to sink into the pea gravel 

finished and in place!

handy pin latch

the front opens for easy access

here it is today, pretty full, in need of worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment