Tuesday, February 25, 2014

cleanse 1/day 9

A couple of weeks ago, I received my organic & non-GMO seeds in the mail! I ordered them from SeedsNow.com and I am excited to see how they do. I ordered the following:

aren't they nicely packaged?

arugula
basil - genovese and herb mix
beans, tender greens
broccoli, calabrese
cilantro
cress-I am not 100% what this is
cucumbers - lemon, muncher and tendergreen
eggplant - black beauty and pandora striped
fennel
kale
peas, sugar snap
peppers - banana, jalapeno, bells, serrano
squash - zucchini, pattypan and butternut
swiss chard
tomatoes, cherry

My tomatoes have not done well for the last 6 years, so I am only trying cherry tomatoes and I'll support the local farmers at my neighborhood farmer's market. They seem to be much better at growing them. I've had ok luck with eggplant and peppers. I also saved some seeds I'll experiment with, but they are mostly melons and will be seeded later.

I was hoping to get a cold frame built in January and have lettuces going, but it was too dang cold to be in the garage. I'll get it built this summer for late fall winter. Maybe I'll plant some arugula anyways and see how it does. There is still a lot of time before it's too hot.

I'm going to start with broccoli and swiss chard and I found these 2 charts at Cultivator's Corner.
This chart says peas, but the Arkansas specific chart  (scroll down for link) suggests March, plus I thought that peas were supposed to be seeded directly in the ground. I may have to double check that.



The chart I really like is from The Arkansas Extension, Year Round Home Planting Guide. I could not figure out how to get a picture of the pdf over here, but it's one of the most comprehensive list I've found and it's specific to Arkansas so I'm thinking it'll be a very reliable guide.

Also, somewhere I read last year that it's better to start tomatoes late, especially here, because then you avoid some kind of caterpillar or something. I'm not sure how late but as our summers are long, maybe a month or so? Anyone know?

the cleanse report:


I am 100% back on coffee!

Today, my smoothie was a bit odd due to the fact that I am out of green things. I had a carrot, ginger, 1/3 of a cuke (that's cucumber for short, a friend of mine didn't know what I meant when I said it the other day, so I'm telling you now in case it's new to you to. Maybe it's a Texas thing? I thought everyone said it), s&p, and cilantro. I thought about putting in a pickle since they are green, but that just sounded gross. :/ It's more of an orangey/brown smoothie. Oh well.

 Water quota: Check!


To be honest, this was not very tastey. I only drank 1/2. Bleh.
As a punishment, I made nice cream shake with frozen bananas, almond milk and part of a chocolate bar. :/  it WAS 70% dark and organic. It was VERY cold, but I made myself drink it.

There's always tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment