Monday, February 17, 2014

greetings!

i'm super excited to start this chronicle of my journey towards a vegan and raw diet, super healthy, ethical and spiritual living, urban gardening adventures, kitchen experiments, and whatever else might fit in along this path. i'm learning as i go and have several mentors (i know them, but they don't know me!!!) that i've found through the vast and wonderful world of health/veggie/yoga bloggers on the internet. i'll share them here, too!

i have been moving in the direction of 100% vegan diet for a few years now. this is not a first for me. i have been vegetarian for over 25 years. i have eaten a vegan diet occasionally during those years, and twice, for very short periods, pescatarian. i am currently eating a mostly vegan diet, with the exception of very occasional cheese, ghee, and honey.

my mom was an organic urban gardener when i was growing up in the 70's in richardson, tx. she would grow and can food, was a member of a local co-op. we were not allowed to eat fast food and cokes were pretty much off limits except as an occasional treat. as my sister and i entered into jr high and high school, things loosened, probably as a result of my parents separating and my mom having to go back to work. but for me, the foundation was already set.

as an adult, i have had huge urban gardening successes and failures. i currently live in a little garden cottage in an historical neighborhood in little rock, ar. i have attempted to build a food garden here despite the shade in my yard and the poor soil that i'm told is an issue. i'm learning to work with what i have, and i will give it a go again this spring.

i am also very much interested in eliminating all processed foods from my diet and using only organic and non-GMO ingredients. my goal is to be disciplined but keep a flow, and avoid rigidity. i'm exploring the alkaline/acid info that is out there and finding that to be a whole new ball of wax. it can seem daunting at times, which is why i feel i will be happier if i keep it loose around this process. that said, there are some things i am not willing to compromise on. flesh foods being #1 on the list. i think i'll explore this list a little later in detail.

my reason for all of this has always been the same.

optimum vibrant health and compassion and respect for ALL sentient beings.


i am starting a cleanse today and so is a good friend of mine. we are customizing to suit our needs and i hope that by having a cleanse pal, i'll stay motivated and excited about it.

my goals for the cleanse are:

substitute black tea and honey for coffee and sugar
to eliminate all processed foods. i don't eat that many, but crackers taunt me.
80% veggies and fruit
20% grains seeds nuts
to consume 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water daily
to have at least 1 green smoothie a day

today is getting off to a good start and i have a beautiful green spring soup on the stove.
it smells amazing and i plan to blend 1/2 of it so it will have a lovely creamy/chunky texture.






2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie! I love it! Will you please post the recipe for the soup? It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks allison! i will include the recipe in my post later today! btw, it is sooo good AND easy!!

    ReplyDelete